The Olympics have been around for well over 2000 years, so there are plenty of interesting Olympic trivia to share:
1. This is the first time in the history of the Olympics that Rio has hosted. They won their bid back in 2009 and beat out such contenders as Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo.
2. Throughout the entire 17 days there’s an expected 10,500 athletes from 206 countries, all competing in 306 events!
3. One event that hasn’t been seen in an impressive 112 year absence is golf. The sport will return to the Olympics with an 18 hole course.
4. Have a spare $3,000 laying around? That’s how much the best seats at the opening ceremony cost!
5. London’s security presence in 2012 was nothing compared to the 85,000 soldiers and police officers roaming Rio during all the festivities.
6. Africa is now the only continent to never host the Games.
7. All told, 306 gold medals will be given out in 42 different sports.
8. The first modern Olympic games were held in 1898 in Athens, Greece.
9. Women didn’t appear at the Olympics until the 1900 Summer Games. They competed in tennis and golf events.
10. The now iconic parade of flags didn’t actually begin until the 1908 Olympic games in London.